Reports to: Sales Manager
A support role for the sales department assisting in the development of design concepts; estimating project cost for workholding, precision machining, and custom automation solutions.
- Reviews requests for quotations, project specifications, and supporting documentation; understanding our customers’ needs.
- Conducts feasibility studies, when applicable.
- Develops concepts that include:
- Develop 2d and 3d layouts, cycle time estimates, address critical assembly processes, and determines manual/automatic functions.
- Must have knowledge of hydraulics, pneumatics, and machine controls.
- Develop 3d concepts based on customer part prints, GD&T, and customer supplied processes.
- An understanding of CNC machines including, machine strokes, machine weight requirements, and a base understanding of machining processes.
- Must have knowledge of hydraulics and pneumatics.
- Evaluates the simplicity of a solution and suggests ways to make a project more efficient and cost-effective for the customer.
- Suggests prototyping, simulations, and cycle-time estimates, when applicable.
- Conducts design reviews with the customer and collaborates on the concept; makes changes where necessary.
- Works with vendors to secure material costs and lead times.
- Uses cost-estimating spreadsheet to provide accurate costs of material and labor.
- Prepares detailed written proposals.
- Updates CRM software throughout the estimating and proposal process.
- Communicates with Sales Engineer and the customer to clarify all critical needs are met.
- Addresses discrepancies or exceptions, lists assumptions made during proposal, and communicates differences in terms and conditions.
- Reviews pricing and proposals with Sales Engineer, making adjustments where needed.
TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- Four years or more of education and/or experience in the automation and special machine/workholding industry preferred.
- BS in ME, EE, ET or equivalent engineering experience desired.
- Mechanical/controls design and project management experience is a plus.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills required.
- Must be highly organized.
- Must be a strong collaborator with internal and external teams.
- Must be adept in using Microsoft Office suite, especially Excel.
- SolidWorks experience strongly desired.
Typical office environment. Some travel to customer facilities is necessary.