JOB TITLE: Sales Engineer
REPORTS TO: Sales Manager
JOB SUMMARY: The Sales Engineer is responsible for generating sales with new and existing customers, communicating customer requirements and managing customer relationships.
Key performance objectives in order of priority with ideal time allocation are:
- Identifying opportunities with new and existing customers and closing new business while achieving profitability goals. 50%
- Following the company’s process for communicating project requirements to all internal stakeholders so that we create accurate and competitive quotes and deliver successful projects. 20%
- Consulting with customers and executing account management plans to build good long-term relationships and earn repeat business. 10%
Note: Twenty percent of time is reserved for ancillary responsibilities, interruptions, and unplanned events.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Other duties may be assigned.
- Shares information and best practices with peers and assists with developing solutions for meeting customer requirements, troubleshooting issues and serving as a sounding board.
- Presents proposals to customers and follows up to move open opportunities through the sales funnel and close new business.
- Follows up with customers post project to handle inquiries and serves as a resource. Stays on top of future needs by working an account management plan and participating in the customer’s planning process.
- Develops and implements account plans to identify and act on opportunities with current customers and expand Ahaus’ presence within the account. Qualifies customer needs, identifies and establishes working relationships with key influencers and positions Ahaus as a viable partner.
- Partners with independent manufacturing representatives, serving as a technical resource and providing assistance with qualifying customer requirements and moving opportunities through the sales process.
- Hunts for new business development opportunities in customer segments that align to Ahaus’ sales plan. Key activities include networking activities, participation in professional organizations, social media groups, and attending trade shows and conferences.
- Works closely with engineering and manufacturing to understand capacities, technical capabilities and production scheduling for servicing existing and/or potential customers.
- Coordinates the flow of information between the customer and engineering as part of the process for clarifying project requirements and capturing all relevant design details for quote development. Communicates initial project concept and ensures the customer’s scope of work is clearly understood.
- Participates in project launch meetings and ensures scope of work, specifications, and customer requirements are handed off to production and all internal check offs completed.
- Monitors customer’s project and assists with resolving escalated issues as required.
- Utilizes Salesforce customer relationship management software to report on the sales funnel, account plans and opportunities projected to close.
- Provides accounting purchase order details including scope of work, terms and conditions for delivery, shipment and payment, and customer contact information.
- Assist with following up on past due accounts and collection of payment.
- Provides feedback on competitors, selling strategies, untapped opportunities, threats and what is working and not working in the marketplace.
- Provides input on the development of promotional and collateral materials to support sales and marketing programs.
TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- Strong background in technical sales, including track record of successful, progressive territory growth.
- Four years or more of education and/or experience in the automation and special machine/workholding industry preferred.
- BS in ME, EE, ET or equivalent engineering experience desired.
- Mechanical/controls design and project management experience is a plus.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills required.
- Must be highly organized.
- Must be a strong collaborator with internal and external teams.
- Must be adept in using Microsoft Office suite, especially Excel.
- SolidWorks experience strongly desired.
Typical office environment. Significant travel to customer facilities is required.